Safer Student Nights
Safer Student Nights Initiative - February to March 2023
The HSE and Union of Students in Ireland (USI) ask students to think about drug safety measures when using drugs on nights out.
The HSE and the USI are sharing key messages aimed at students during February – March 2023 as part of their on-going partnership to engage with students who use drugs.
The ‘Safer Student Nights’ campaign aims to make students aware of the current drug trends which could increase health harms. While it is safer not to use at all, messages will focus on practical steps to help students minimise the risks associated with use.
Current drug trends of concern:
- MDMA: High strength stimulants and new drugs being sold as stimulants
- Cannabis: Products sold as cannabis containing new and man-made substances known as 'synthetic cannabinoids'
Reduce the harms
- It's always safer not to use and some people may be at greater risk due to personal factors
- Be in the know before you go – research and stay up to date with drug market trends
- Leave no one alone, stick together, have a friend you trust with you
- Start low and go slow – take a small test dose. Pace yourself and leave time between use
- Get medical help if you or a friend becomes unwell or feels suicidal after using drugs.
- Understanding drug emergencies and how to help a friend
- Drug combinations ‘mixing drugs’
- Harm reduction for different drugs
- Cannabis edible factsheet/ Edible risk communication Januay 2023
- Updates and warnings
How you can take part
- Please share tweets and Facebook posts from @drugsdotie/ http://www.facebook.com/Drugs.ie/ and @TheUSI / http://www.facebook.com/USI.ie/
- Please share messages on your social media platforms using the #SaferStudentNights hash tag
Find a local support service through the Drugs.ie National Directory of Drug and Alcohol Services
For information and support on drugs and alcohol visit Drugs.ie The HSE Drugs & Alcohol Helpline can be reached on freephone 1800 459 459 from Monday – Friday 9:30 – 5:30pm or email firstname.lastname@example.org