Smoke Category: Headshop Drugs
Such as: mayan, smoke 2.
How it’s used
These are mixtures of herbs which are sold as an alternative to cannabis. Previous to the recent governement ban on a number of substances sold in head shops, many had been found to be laced with synthetic cannabinoids, which are compounds like cannabis. One of these, JHW-018, was found in some legal highs in Ireland and other European countries. The list of ingredients on the package has not always been found to be the same as the contents found in lab tests. The effects listed below are known to be associated with 'smoke' type substances sold in head shops. We shall update this page in light of any further developments.
- Effects are similar to cannabis but not the same
- Effects can vary from person to person and from each time you use it
- If you have underlying mental health problems, any drug can trigger them
- Because we don’t know what’s in these drugs, you are not fully informed about the risks of taking the drug or when used with other drugs
- You risk overdose from some of these drugs as they are so strong
- Psychosis, panic attacks
- May cause cancer
- Heart and circulatory problems
- If you have a mental health condition, it may get worse
If you are pregnant
Do not use if you are pregnant as we don’t know enough about the risks to your baby.
You can become addicted to these.
How long does it stay in your system?
There is no urine test for these yet.
What help is available?
- Self-help support such as Narcotics Anonymous
- Counselling or psychotherapy
- Complementary therapies, such as acupuncture
- Support from your doctor
- Residential treatment programmes (clinics)
- One to one or group family support
- Contact the Drugs Helpline 1800 459 459 to find out about options in your area