Magic mushrooms Category: Psychedlics
Also called: mushies, shrooms. liberties, liberty caps, magics, Psilocybin, golden teachers, golden tops/caps, truffles, fly agaric, Psilocybe, Panaeolus and Copelandia
‘Magic mushrooms’ or ‘hallucinogenic mushrooms’ are the names commonly given to mushrooms containing the psychedelic psychoactive compound psilocybin or psilocin.
After ingestion, psilocybin is converted into the active form psilocin in the body.
There are many different types of magic mushrooms, some of which grow in the wild in Ireland usually in Autumn time.
Picking wild mushrooms comes with risks and there have been situations of poisonings following people ingesting wild toxic mushrooms that were incorrectly identified or confused with edible species in Ireland.
There are many species of mushroom in Ireland and many psilocybin containing mushrooms are small brown or tan mushrooms which could be mistaken for a number of non-psychoactive, inedible, or poisonous mushrooms in the wild. Some toxic varieties can cause irreversible damage.
Mushroom potency can depend on a number of factors such as the species or variety used, their origin, growing conditions and age. Drying magic mushrooms reduces the weight but not necessarily the potency (strength).
When sold, mushrooms are often sold raw or dried. They may also come in capsules or as a liquid in vials (small bottles). It’s made by extracting psilocybin, the naturally occurring psychedelic drug found in mushrooms like liberty caps, and is a clearish pale brown colour
How they are used
They can be eaten raw, dried, cooked, stewed, brewed in tea taking as a capsule or as a liquid.People don’t tend to eat fly agaric mushrooms raw as they can make you feel very sick.
Drugs can effect each person differently. The effects will depend on personal factors such as your physical and mental health as well as the dose and potency of a substance. With mushrooms, your existing mood, mental health and setting will impact the effects.
The effects and duration of effects will also depend on the strength of the mushroom which can be difficult to predict.
- The effects of magic mushrooms (and other psychedelics) can also be known as a ‘trip’.
- Effects vary and begin around 60 minutes or longer after you take them and can last for a number of hours. This will depend on personal factors and the type of mushroom and how it’s taken.
- They can cause a change in perceptions, distort colour, sound and objects
- Some people may feel euphoria, giddiness, uncontrollable laughter, energy, joy
- They can speed up and slow down time and movement
- Some people can feel relaxed, energised or creative
- Some people may feel stomach discomfort and nausea
- Sweating and high body temperature, often followed by chills and shivering
- Your experience depends on how you are feeling when you take them so it may be good or bad ‘good trip’ or a ‘bad trip’ which could cause panic reactions and psychosis-like states.
- Impaired judgement during may lead to risk-taking behaviour, traumatic injuries
- Effects can cause anxiety, a sense of unreality or depersonalisation
- Some people may find a bad trip difficult or experience a ‘come down’ in the days after use. It is important to talk about how you’re feeling
Frequent use of mushrooms can impact on perceptions and mood. It is important to take breaks in between use.
• Fly agaric mushrooms are different to psilocybin mushrooms. They are more toxic, have less predictable effects with higher risks
• There are hundreds of varieties of mushroom and some are highly poisonous so you could be poisoned eating the wrong ones.
• You can’t be fully sure of how strong the mushrooms are. The potency depends on species, origin, growing conditions and harvest period.
• Avoid taking magic mushrooms if you are experiencing anxiety or if you have existing mental health concerns
• For individuals with cardiac diseases, short term effects such as increased blood pressure and heart rate could be potentially harmful
• The setting you are in and who you are with can impact on the effects.
• Using with other substances increases the risk of unpredictable effects
Repeated use could lead to tolerance resulting in the drug having less of an effect with higher doses needed.
If you believe you or someone else may have eaten a poisonous mushroom do not wait for symptoms to occur, contact the National Poisons Information Centre or 112/999 immediately.
National Poisons Information Centre
Members of Public: +353 (1) 809 2166. (8.00 a.m. to 10.00 p.m. 7 days a week)
Healthcare Professionals: +353 (1) 809 2566 (24 hour service)