Skip Navigation

Dual Diagnosis Ireland Seminar, Dublin 2010

What is Dual Diagnosis?

Dual Diagnosis is the term used when a person suffers from both a substance addiction problem and another mental health issue such as depression or an anxiety disorder.

Most mental health services and addiction treatment centres in Ireland are currently not organised to treat such people holistically. For example, if you have difficulties abstaining from alcohol due to anxiety, you can not enter rehabilitation services (most residential drug services insist you must be “dry” before entry). Yet you can not get your anxiety problem treated until your addiction to alcohol has been addressed.

Despite this, there is currently little awareness of the problem in Ireland.

Who are Dual Diagnosis Ireland?

Dual Diagnosis Ireland are a not for profit organisation aimed at raising the awareness of the lack of services for the many many people with both a mental health problem such as depression and addiction issues. Dual Diagnosis Ireland are aware of, and work with, other campaigners in the mental health sector, trying to improve services. In doing so, Dual Diagnosis Ireland acknowledge that there are currently no other organisations focused purely on trying to improve services for people with a dual diagnosis.

Dual Diagnosis Ireland, Seminar 2010

In February 2010 Dual Diagnosis Ireland held a seminar in Dublin. The seminar focused on supports for professionals working with substance abuse and mental health issues.

Watch the seminar video:

Loading the player...

For more information

www.dualdiagnosis.ie

Posted by Admin on 05/12 at 10:51 AM in None
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • LinkedIn
  • E-mail
(9) Comments

Comments

#1. Posted by James on May 30, 2010

Very good… This is something that needs a lot more attention… Is more going on?

#2. Posted by Carol on May 31, 2010

Hello James,
Thanks for your kind comments. Yes there is more going on. since the video was filmed, we held another event in May - which again was fully booked out.The slides for this are available on our website www.dualdiagnosis.ie.  We are currently looking at our next steps and if you like we can add your contact details to our mailing list, so we can keep you informed. Just send us an email.

#3. Posted by grainne west on May 31, 2010

Hi can you add me to your mailing list please

thanks

#4. Posted by amy on July 01, 2010

That’s really interesting… We’re very dual diagnosis focussed here in Australia. I’m really keen to learn more, could you put me on your mailing list, please?

#5. Posted by Helen on July 12, 2010

Delighted to hear about this organisation - sorry I missed the seminars. Could you add me to your mailing list please?

#6. Posted by garry on December 14, 2010

Can you please add me to your mailing list. Very informative, this issue needs to draw awareness.

#7. Posted by Willie Mullin on December 16, 2010

Hi! I would appreciate if you would add me to your mailing list. regards Willie Mullin

#8. Posted by jacinta on March 01, 2011

Hi could you add me to your mailing list please?

#9. Posted by julie ann gray on August 15, 2012

I am a dual diagnosis practioner within the SHSCT and would be keen to meet up or to discuss dual diagnosis issues and developmet

Name:

Email:

URL:

Comments:

Remember my personal information

Notify me of follow-up comments?

Enter this word:

Here:

Our online 'Live Help' chat service offers you a person to talk to.
This is a free, secure and confidential online chat service - your identity is not made known to the staff member.

Click the button below to launch the chat service.
Poll Poll

Have you ever been impacted negatively by someone else’s drinking?

NewslettereBulletin