Powders Category: Headshop Drugs
Such as: White Columbia, Raz, Amplified, Extreme Stardust, Sn*berry and Pure NRG.
How it’s used
Many head shop drugs / new psychoactive substances had been found to contain cathinones. Cathinones are chemical stimulants (‘uppers’). They were often listed as ketones on packet ingredients. When you take cathinones, your body produces cathine and norpseudoephedrine, which are similar to amphetamine and adrenaline. The effects listed below are known to be associated with these 'powder' type substances sold in head shops. Products and substances that have appeared include, White Columbia, Raz, Amplified, Extreme Stardust, Sn*berry, Snowblow, Pure NRG, PMA, PMMA, MPDV, Naphyrone.
- Effects can vary from person to person and from each time you use it
- Can cause anxiety and paranoia
- Compulsive re-dosing
- Rapid heart beats
- Jaw clenching and grinding teeth
- Narrowing of blood vessels
- If you have underlying mental health problems, any drug can trigger them
- Because we don’t know what’s in these drugs, you are not fully informed about the risks of taking the drug or when used with other drugs
- Like ecstasy, you need to stay hydrated but it is dangerous to drink too much too fast – best to sip 1 pint of water per hour
- Tablets sold as ecstasy can sometimes contain mephedrone. Mephedrone has been linked to two deaths in Sweden.
If you are pregnant
Do not use if you are pregnant as we don’t know enough about the risks to your baby.
You can’t become physically addicted but you may become compulsive and can’t control your use. This can lead to psychological dependence so you feel you can’t cope without it.
How long does it stay in your system?
No urine test for this yet
What help is available?
- Self-help support such as Narcotics Anonymous
- Counselling or psychotherapy
- Complementary therapies such as acupuncture
- Support from your doctor
- Residential treatment programmes (clinics)
- One to one or group family support
- Contact the Drugs Helpline on 1800 459 459 to find out about options in your area