Last Saturday morning (July 28), a woman in the city centre suffered a respiratory attack, secondary to a heroin overdose.
Within 15 minutes, two ambulance units and Limerick Fire Service were at the scene and stablised the woman by administering the drug naloxone.
The following day, an individual in the city centre suffered from a heroin overdose, but was stabilised by McGarry House staff when naloxone was administered five times.
Sinead Carey, of Novas, which oversees McGarry House homeless service on Alphonsus Street, said the two incidents show “how valuable the ambulance service is and how badly needed it is”.
“Overdose deaths are preventable with training and education and peer prevention programmes, as well as the intervention of naloxone.”
Source: Fintan Walsh, limerickleader.ie, 06/08/2018